Saturday, May 26, 2007

I use this to Search my desktop - do you?


For months, I had been using Google Desktop Search. It was great - but slowed down my system and most of my client's systems. I asked my good friend Anne what she used and she steered me toward Coppernic. I had tried it in the past and was surprised what an overhaul the program had.

The beautiful thing about having a desktop/computer search function is that it lessens the need to keep files in great order. It is extremely useful when it comes to searching through emails.

Here are the Operating Systems it supports: Windows 98/Me/NT4/2000/2000 Server/XP/2003 Server/Vista.

No Mac OS, but with the Mac you have Spotlight which kinda does the same thing. Major blind spot with Spotlight - does not see Entourage email.

Vista does have some advanced indexing which mimics both Coppernic and Mac OS, but I would put my faith in a non-Microsoft product at this point in the game. I would also recommend lots of RAM to run this product - minimum of 1 G on your system.

Read about the guy this program is named after - Copernicus.

No comments: