Friday, April 17, 2009

Mind Mapping - Free Online - On Computer

Just found this way cool mind mapping software, called Bubbl! We've all done diagramming, flow charting, free association, and mapping the inner sanctum of our mind. But, Mind Mapping? What the heck is it?

No, it's not the next Internet Quiz Maker/Taker monster. No, it's not the latest internet-Rorschach-Psych craze either. It's an updated way of communicating or presenting ideas: its "think bubbls" for your brainstorms and business ideas (you know those little bubbles over characters' heads in cartoons?

My first thought when I started tooling around with Bubbl was, "Wish I had this in the College Years. That woulda been a great way of taking notes. Man, college kids these days got it so easy compared to 10+ years ago!"

A couple of examples of Mind Mapping from MindTools for Time Management. Look how creative these can get!


Then, I started thinking about a website that I'd been working on. I realized I can use this as a model for developing this site, and expressing all of its links.

Then I remembered that I was in the middle of another project that might be better organized by using the bubbl technique. Suddenly, it's "Goodbye, Flipcharts!" and "Goodbye, Power Point!" "Good Night, little red cursor, jumping over the moon!" Hello, Bubbl. I can use this new tool for seminars, speeches, product introductions, marketing collateral, etc, etc...I keep coming up with ideas for new uses. It's easy to collaborate with my team, or to include other teams.

And, oh yeah. It's free.

You can make as many new "Sheets" for different projects as you need. Here's a generic one a friend of mine shared with all of her staff for an upcoming Board Meeting.


If you're not into having it online, here are some alternatives:

MindApp - $59 - Windows only

MindJet - $349 - Windows; $120 Web; $129 Mac

Stephen Pierce demonstrates how to mindmap a book while reading it using a flipchart. Of course, we'd read book with our computer near buy so we can use our favorite mindmapping software!

No comments: